The building that sits at 10 Scrivener Square in Toronto’s Rosedale neighbourhood is currently the flagship store of The Liquor Control Board of Ontario yet it has a history that includes a variety of different uses, a different address and an evolving urban context in which it is set. The original address of 1121 Yonge Street was changed with the building of Scrivener Square to service the residential developments to the east. The building was designed by Darling and Pearson and built by 1916 by P. Lyall & Sons Construction Company, the same construction company that was contracted to build Union Station (Boles 86). The design is regarded as a building of the Beaux Arts movement. Originally constructed as the CP North Toronto Station, it was only used as such for under 15 years as the opening of Union Station in 1927 diverted rail traffic away from the area, forcing the closure of the building in 1930. Brewer’s Retail inhabited the site in 1931 and the LCBO opened in 1940 and has remained in that location since that time. The station can be broken down into three main areas – the main building that would have originally encompassed the waiting room, ticket office and concourse, the clock tower and the area underneath the tracks that would have been the midway and baggage area and would lead up to the platforms. The context of the site and building has changed dramatically with the urbanization and modernization of the surrounding area but it remains true to its roots. From what was once the grandest building in the neighbourhood, it is now eclipsed by large development to all sides. Yet, the building has been able to maintain its grandeur and scale by being set back from the street and with the careful use of the frontage and property, it has retained its connection to the street. Cohesiveness in design and construction is found in the materiality and hierarchy. The Tyndall limestone when viewed from afar has a very even colour and texture that lets an observer know that all the elements are of a larger whole. As well, the hierarchy of heavy to light repeated in both the main building and the clock tower with a higher level of ornamentation and narrowing allow one to make the connection. A major renovation at a cost of 13 million was completed in 2003 by Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd, Architects (gbca.ca) and included a full rehabilitation of the building’s interior and exterior, installation of a new clock, three separate additions, a newly designed southern landcape intervention and additional parking to the north.
-Boles, Derek. Toronto’s Railway Heritage. Charleston SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2009. Print.
-“North Toronto Station.” gbca.ca. n.p., n.d. Web. 15 Oct. 2010.